Sunday, May 6, 2012

Part One.... The end of School!!


Let me first start off by apologizing. I realize I did not post this last Sunday, and for all of you who read and follow along each week, SORRY!!! But let me tell you I had plenty of good reason!

The last week of April was full of events! The biggest being the end of the first term of school! That last week of school was filled with fun activities in the classroom, half days, and excitement for the upcoming break! When the children are on break from school, all of the kids go home to their local villages. So the excitement was buzzing to head off to see their friends and families.

School ended Friday and that afternoon we began transporting children to their villages. Friday, was the local kids day. So we took all the kids home who remain pretty local, or around the Katima area. Saturday was an early start to the morning, we left Zion around 7am to transport all of the other children to their villages. We drove for about 3 hours each direction taking kids home! It was so great both days to be able to see where the children are from. Their families welcoming them were so excited to have them home and that was a great thing to watch! Also, on the way back to Zion we got to stop at Kongola and shop at the local craft markets! The best part might have been though the “side of the road elephants.” As you drive down the main road you will find local people with little shops set up on the side of the road. They all had some of the best wood carved elephants I have seen in my time here! And it’s the best place to strike up a deal!

I do have to say, I am excited for the break from school, but being at Zion without all the craziness of children everywhere is quite strange!

Other things that happened within the week include….
-       A massive crocodile spotting right outside the fence in front of my house!!! It was a little crazy!
-       The river is rising and rushing through much higher and faster now. It has been amazing to watch the change in the last few weeks and days.
-       Before school let out, I had a night with the older girls! They all came over to my house and we painted our nails and talk about music, boys, and what they want to do after school! It was great!
-       Planning for our mini vacation began…..

Which leads us all to Part Two…
But first a few pictures!
Sweet Josiah wearing my glasses!

Nsala holding Manyando! 

End of Term assembly! 

Auntie Mercy and I with some of our students!

The cute little girls! 

Loading up the car to take kids home! 

Jonathan hanging out the window!

Ahhhhh Elephants!! 

Auntie Mercy and I with our class and Auntie Josephines Grade 1 class! 

No comments:

Post a Comment