Sunday, May 13, 2012

Conquering The Beast


This past week, our directors and chief matron were off to Windhoek for a nationwide conference. With their absence, more and different responsibilities fell into the hands of myself and the other volunteer. Some of those included pantry duties, making sure everything is ready for the kitchen staff at each meal. Other small tasks like organizing, preparing, and other things were also on our plate.

My plate that week had a nice helping of overcoming a massive fear of mine. Driving.

Yeap, with the directors gone, there would be no one who was able or licensed to drive. Leaving me with the key to the “beast” or “Quinton the Quantum.”

Now prior to this weeks driving, as you may recall, I had a driving lesson back in February. Well, news flash, it is MAY, and I have driven in those 3 months maybe 3 times. Most of which fell in the month of February.

So to say I was apprehensive is an understatement. Even in my dreams I was driving or attempting to drive that big bad boy.

But duty called and things had to be done. There was bread pick up Monday morning, town shopping, running Annia back and forth to her school, and other small errands. Driving was unavoidable.

So Monday morning, amidst constant conversation with Jesus, I took the wheel of that vehicle. After a few first attempts, I got it started and going without it dying. Of course its not just a small load of us going to town that morning, it is an entire car full. I believe it was 14 people to be exact. No pressure right?

So we take to the road ever so slowly, but hey we were making it. Once the dirt road ended and we hit the tar road I was able to breath a bit better. That is until I remembered I was going into town. Now, Katima is quite the bustling little city. I swear there are people everywhere, and even more cars. Sure it’s no Dallas or heck even Amarillo. Hey, under the circumstances, and for dramatic effect, this traffic is insane.

So I make the first left turn, remember I’m on the other side of the vehicle driving on the right side of the road. We pull into the market drop off area, and people all pile out and I take another breath. Ah, but quickly again I remember that a few feet ahead of me is a stop sign, in which I’m already nervous I am going stall out. So we take off….whew, made it through the stop sign and through town to get all our errands done.

That beast had no control over me. I was showing it who was boss. Remember, you don’t mess with Texas.

So I survived day one, only stalling out in the middle of the road a few times (and let me tell you, people here love to honk their horns). The rest of the week consisted of a few trips to Annia’s school and back. Not to many issues there, thank the Lord.

Today, I write to you all one proud girl. I conquered that beast. I conquered the other side of the road, and to add to it I even conquered my fears.

But lets not get to far ahead of our selves. It sill completely freaks me out!

Although I have a feeling I will have plenty of time to acquire more driving stories, and have n

1 comment:

  1. I found driving around Katima and COZV a whole lot of fun! But it is probably best that your were overly cautious and careful! There were times I realized I was on the wrong side of the road when I would see a car far off in the distance in my lane. Oh yeah, I'm supposed to be over there! The only time I was absolutely terrified was the one time I was driving back to COZV in the dark. I swore I would never do that again.

    ReplyDelete