Sunday, March 18, 2012

So...There Was A Talking Donkey

One of the wildest miracles in the bible, a talking donkey.  No, it isn’t an excerpt from Dr. Doolittle. It is truth, head over to the book of Numbers chapter 22. The prophet Balaam was headed to see King Balaak who was demanding that Balaam speak badly of Gods chosen people. As he was traveling, his donkey not once but three times saved his life. You see, that donkey saw something that Balaam did not. He saw an angel violently swinging a sword, and had the donkey not turned off the path, Balaam surely would have been killed. And every time that donkey saw the angel and veered off, Balaam would beat his donkey trying to get him to head back in the direction they were set to go. It wasn’t until the final beating that God allowed something amazing to happen. He allowed in that moment the donkey to talk.

“What have I done to you to make you beat me these three times?” said the donkey. Now, I can only imagine what Balaam must have thought in that moment. I mean come on; his donkey was talking to him. If it had been me I’m sure my reaction would have been quite over the top. Not Balaam, his response was a threat to kill the donkey that has made a fool of him. Yes, this is the same donkey that saved his life 3 times. I really think that if I had a talking donkey I’d be way more amazed than upset. I mean come on!!

You are probably wondering what this crazy story from the bible has to do with this past week. It has tons. Let me explain.

The PACEs that the children work in comes with a bible story we read every week. Each week it is different, and each week it somehow relates to the other work they will do in their paces. Our letter this week happens to be “M,” our animal, “Milton the Mule.” So this story is quite fitting. The crazy thing is, as I am sitting before my class of kindergarten students I am being blown away by this story. In my 23 years of life I had NEVER heard this one. That just seems absurd to me! It is a CRAZY story!! But that is not where the talking donkey stops…

I am reading through a bible plan to finish the bible in the year that I am here. This weeks Old Testament reading included Numbers 22. So now I’ve had this story in two different and yet distinct ways.  But we aren’t done with the crazy donkey miracle….

I recently finished the book “The Circle Maker” in chapter 11, Mark Batterson spends quite a bit of time talking about the miracle that happened that day when the donkey spoke. I mean come on. But I really like where the author takes this story.  The donkey was creating a detour. A detour that would save Balaam’s life, but that detour was interrupting the path and the direction Balaam thought he was supposed to be going. Isn’t that how we all are? The slightest change to our plans, our path, or our ideas is the biggest hindrance. What if it is a divine detour? What if it is God interceding and trying to wake us up somehow?

So what do I think about the talking donkey miracle being right in front of my face this week. Maybe that is God trying to wake me up to a detour He is preparing me for. Maybe God is trying to tell me that my plans, my ideas aren’t lining up with what He has in mind and He wants me to open my eyes to what lies in front of me. To say I think having this story brought to my attention for the first time in 3 different ways is just a coincidence, would be slapping the Holy Spirit in the face. I don’t believe in coincidences anymore, I know that the spirit is moving and working, so why wouldn’t I trust that this is what is happening now.

So my question is, what is the talking donkey in your life trying to detour you around? What path are you traveling that might bring you more harm than good? Listen to the spirit promptings; He will never lead you astray.

But let me give you some highlights from this week!

Its easy to get excited about simple things like peanut butter when you have gone without the holy grail of all flavors for a whole month. But this past Monday, the holy grail of Yum Yum was in our grasp! As all Mondays go, it was a typical shopping day. Our house was barren, except for maybe the most random foods ever! We always wait in anticipation for the food for the week to arrive! But this delivery was the most exciting ever. As our food was being unloaded from the car, Lorna summoned us all together, because she had a special announcement for us. As she handed us a clear Pik-n-Pay shopping bag we saw it. There in front of our eyes were 6 jars of Chocolate Chip Yum Yum. We all shrieked in excitement. Now to you all who have never tasted this wonderful creation, this all could seem a bit wacky (and honestly it is) but let me tell you, it is the best thing ever created. If peanut butter wasn’t so great on its own imagine throwing in chocolate chips that are intricately mixed in to create a wonderful mixture of chocolate and peanut butter. Wow. It is fantastic.

On Wednesday, Laura and I traveled to town with Lorna to take the babies to the clinic for their two-month check up! When we got to town we dropped Laura off at the post office because she was going to mail our letters! So, be on the look out family and friends! There is some mail on its way from Africa! At the clinic we learned that the date was written wrong and the boys weren’t supposed to come until this coming Tuesday, but we still asked the nurse to weigh the boys. They now weigh in at 3.98 for Manyando and 4.2 for Mafenyeho! So in 3 weeks the have each gained weight! YAY! They are looking much healthier and eat like crazy! Praise God for keeping the boys healthy!!


On Saturday we had an exciting visit from the Omega cultural dancers, from the Omega village. This group of children dressed in traditional tribal dress and performed traditional songs and dances for us. It was amazing! It was super great to see a real glimpse of the culture these children come from. After their performance, many of our kids, and the staff got up and joined in the dances! It was too much fun to watch! I really think that our kids enjoyed having them, and it was a nice break to our typical routine!

Of course this week was scattered with random shenanigans and all sorts of hoopla! Including saving a baby chick from a dogs mouth, being struck with my first sickness (which is so not fun and still not feeling well), and of course my adorable kindergarten class! The things that these children say in class crack me up! I will have to set up a video camera in my room just so you all can have a glimpse!! The river is rising much quicker. I swear, everyday I walk by and see the same body of water, but every day it looks different. Continue to pray for the flood, continue to pray that the waters hold off as long as possible. Pray for the children here. Pray for their lives and the decisions they make always. Also pray for my health and healing from this sickness! I can’t believe its already the third week of March! Time is flying by here!

Also for all of you who know, and those who don’t, I will be home June 26th and be at home until July 8th! I am very excited to come home for my very best friends wedding, and have the opportunity to see family, friends, and all of you!

Love to you all from Africa!!


Here is my sweet class with their Mule puppets!


On the left... The traditonal dancers. On the right... Our growing twins!!

Everyone loved dancing after!!

A view of the river!



No comments:

Post a Comment